View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,339,527
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Germination the easy way

Your best bet is to probably use a pressure cooker to sterilize the media containers, with the media inside of it (before it gels), the PPM is supposed to reduce contamination but in my trials with it, it cannot handle the mold alone, it needs extra sterilization.

You can get fancy with the medium, but what I am using is basic MS media, sugar, thiamin HCl and gelrite, with minute amounts of hydrochloric acid or sodium hydroxide to achieve a pH of 5.6-5.8. I am experimenting also with levels of shoot proliferation hormones, this essentially makes the embryo either germinate into one or many plants at a time. If anyone is serious about trying and wants more detailed info, PM or email me.

Tissue culture is just a basic term for the culturing of tissue in a controlled environment, in vitro. Embryo rescue means you use the embryo from the seed as your source of tissue, in "regular" tissue culture, you would likely be using the meristematic tissue taken from a shoot which has not flowered yet, although other parts can be used for different reasons.

I also do normal micropropagation tissue culture (standard, as what Agri-Starts and such do), and will hopefully be able to send some of the interesting banana plants here back to the mainland so people can grow them.

Last edited by Gabe15 : 02-12-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Gabe15 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Gabe15
Said thanks: