Thread: Veinte Cohol
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
chong

Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
BananaBucks : 96,736
Said "Thanks" 1,309 Times
Was Thanked 1,701 Times in 758 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 991 Times
Default Re: Veinte Cohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencelest View Post
Chong:
We have a farmer's market here that sells baby bananas but then the label says manzano . Are they the same thing?
I believe they are the same as our Señorita. Only, they are picked too green for transport. The Manzanos that I had in HI, are somewhat tart compared to the Señorita. And they (Manzano) are almost twice as long. Also, Señoritas have a lot thiner skin than Manzano, and have a smell closer to caramel than apple.

Check out the article below:
In season . . . baby bananas | www.azstarnet.com ®

The author says that it "tastes pretty much like its larger brethren". I totally disagree, unless the ones in their area are stunted fruits from the same plants. But the fact that the ones we get here have very thin skin, light yellow golden color pulp with a firm custard texture. One thing they caution is that you should not pick a totally green bunch since the will not ripen evenly. This would confirm my suspicion that the one they get in their area are not ripe enough to be picked to begin with.

Another thing they said was they are manzano, burro, or pisang mas varieties. Now, i don't know if these are eve the same variety. Here is a link to photos of Pisang Mas banana from Indonesia:
Pisang Mas - ..:: Zul + Sue = Darwisy ::.. - Fotopages.com

Now, doesn't that remind you of Señorita? You can almost taste it, can't you?
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Said thanks: