View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Worm_Farmer

Zone: 9b
Name: Mike
BananaBucks : 44,123
Said "Thanks" 5,326 Times
Was Thanked 1,830 Times in 679 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,866 Times
Send a message via AIM to Worm_Farmer
Default Re: Chickens and Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangermouse01 View Post
For mulch I have been buying 50LB straw bales (compressed straw) from Tractor Supply for $10.99.
Standlee Premium Western Forage Certified Straw Grab & Go Compressed Bale, 50 lb. Bale - For Life Out Here

The 50Lb bale goes farther than 6 of the $2 bags of mulch, breaks down pretty quick. Do get some seeds sprouting, but they dont seem to thirve well and easy to just pull up and drop.

Here is my Peach Cobbler mango with straw mulch (cleaned up & mulched not recently planted). The mulch has been there about a week, is pretty thick. The 6 foot diameter circle used over 1/3 of the bale (but less than 1/2).

Have used it around the jackfruit trees, bananas, dragon fruit, mangoes, atemoya and just about everything I have in the large pots.
DM
I have been considering using hay bail's. Bagged mulch is crazy talk when I need 15+ yards ever season. LoL
I think Hay is higher in Nitrogen. Do you know if tractor supply is cheaper than the feed store?
I also was considering raking up pine needles from the back lot and spreading them around also. LoL
Worm_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Worm_Farmer