View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 12:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
a.hulva@coxinet.net

Zone: 73034
Name: Al
BananaBucks : 48,293
Said "Thanks" 3,695 Times
Was Thanked 779 Times in 317 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 437 Times
Default Re: Deformed variegation

Quote:
Originally Posted by exovetek View Post
I have been having an issue with deformed variegation on my AEAE and a variegated 'little prince'. This issue has come and gone in the past, but never this bad. To a small degree, it adds character, but it destroys the variegation if it gets too bad. The white tissue is not elongating as the leaves emerge causing the leaves to become deformed. I have lost the variegation in one pup already. I know that there are a lot of threads about fertilizer and losing variegation, but this is different. There is obviously an environmental issue here, whether it be fertilizer, PH, lighting ect. Has anyone come across this issue and had success correcting it?

AEAE

Little Prince before and after

The variegation in plants is caused by a genetic mutation usually found in nature in areas like tropical rain forests. It can be replicated by various forms of propagation. The white areas are lacking chlorophyll therefore are weaker and somewhat more sensitive than the green portion of the leaves. The Ae Ae leaves are all different from each other. The more white the less sugar is manufactured. As far as your plant is concerned, it looks like the large white areas are just shrunken possibly from the lack of chlorophyll. An all white Manini has a very short life cycle. Your plant looks beautiful to me. You should be proud to have such a fine plant. If you're disappointed in your Manini, I would be glad to take it off your hands. All the above is based on limited research. Quit worrying and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Hope this helps a little.
a.hulva@coxinet.net is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To a.hulva@coxinet.net
Said thanks: