View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,339,430
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Musa yunnanensis officially described!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Gabe, I just looked at the plant(s) in your gallery. Is that the same plant?? It's got some size to it now if it is! I've seen the pictures of the smaller plant before. I have one about that size at the greenhouse, and it has the same blackish coloration at the midrib on top of the leaf. The thing that bothers me is the leaf bases on yours! They are symmetric it appears, but they are not rounded at the base. They have more of a Musa basjoo type leaf base. What do you make of that? The description states that the leaf bases are rounded and auriculate. Could TianZi have sent you a different banana, not yet described?
It's the same one, but even those pictures were ages ago, the plant is probably close to maturity by now, its been living in South Florida since last summer. It should be acurrate, Markku Hakkinen (the one who described it) has worked closely with Tian Zi and verified what plants they had. There are also different varieties of M. yunnanensis that will be published later on, so perhaps we are seeing some of the different varieties or maybe just a juvenile trait. Unfortunatly my computer is down so I don't have any of the papers, but I get it back soon I will look into it.