View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,339,423
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Notice Regarding Spam Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarkie View Post
It's a drastic measure, but you can check the IP addresses and ban the entire slate until you set up a checkpoint like Captchas.

For example, if you determine they're all coming from Yahoo accounts, block all new accounts with Yahoo addresses for the next few days until you can get it under control. It's drastic, but temporary.
That would be great, except as moderators we don't have that much power, that takes an admin. We can delete posts, edit posts, ban users, and move stuff around, but that's about it. I don't think there is any way we can set up some kind of filter. It would be somewhat manageable even if we could ban users or IP addresses and threads in bulk, but we can't, and there is just too much to keep up with. I looked at a few of the IP addresses, and as Harvey stated there are multiple ones being used, and a few that seem to have blocked access to view their IP address. We can look up IP addresses but I haven't found any tool to block them, only usernames.

I know a lot about bananas, but not so much about computers and software, and this far beyond my, or I would think any of our moderators, expertise, and definitely out of our power. We just have to wait until Jarred can step in and press some of his magic admin buttons.

Last edited by Gabe15 : 02-21-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Gabe15 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Gabe15
Said thanks: