View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #40 (permalink)
Natureboy

Zone: 9B
Name: Nate
BananaBucks : 46,083
Said "Thanks" 124 Times
Was Thanked 138 Times in 59 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 7 Times
Default Re: Biochar: Black Gold or Just Another Snake Oil Scheme?

Getting back to the inputs of "grass clippings, coffee grinds and such" and speaking only of experience growing bananas in FL, I can testify to the benefits of adding organic material in general to the soil. Richard seems to be keen on chemical fertilizers - and that's fine. I would just like to try to achieve the same or better results without them.

In my experience, *in Florida*, best results have been with moderate doses of Espoma (Holly or Citrus), fine mulch, coffee grounds, wood ash, and bi-annual thick applications of mushroom compost. Over the past couple years, I've found mushroom compost to be the key for me. It loosens up the soil and attracts huge amounts of earthworms. 200 fingers on my latest Namwah is enough direct evidence for me. Before using mushroom compost, I may have topped out at 120.

Current varieties: Dwarf Namwah, FHIA-03 (Sweetheart), White Iholena, Maoli, Orinoco, Manzano (Apple), Praying Hands, Dwarf Brazilian, Pisang Raja, Rajapuri, Ice Cream (Blue Java), FHIA-01 (Goldfinger), Kandarian
Natureboy is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Natureboy
Said thanks: