View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,339,527
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Does this look Like a Williams Banana Plant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post
Susan has wanted to add a Manini & a real Goldfinger to her collection for a long time and this little project is a good enough reason to go ahead and ship. Even though the two plants that will be compared are very different and easily distinguishably, it can still be a good learning experience for folks to observe the entire process that Gabe uses as he systematically goes through the different descriptors.
My process is mostly that I've seen a lot of different bananas in different locations and conditions, and have taken a lot of photos I can use for comparison. There are ways to systematically look at the parts, but 95+% of ID'ing something complex like a plant cultivar is just recognizing it because you've seen it before and seen a lot of other similar ones which are not it, so you know what you're looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post
Hi Gabe, the real Goldfinger has a very distinct high shouldered obtuse bud and the banana in this post is certainly not a Goldfinger.
Ignoring the other compelling evidence for now, let's just look at the general shape of bud as that's what seems to be the hangup at the moment.

Here is the bud on Susan's plant

Here's some of my photos of 'Goldfinger' buds from various places around the world and in various growing conditions.
https://goo.gl/photos/8xKwK7ZmoNPZV1sB7

To me they are a match. Do you have a 'Goldfinger' plant which is drastically different from these? Keep in mind too that the buds must be compared at roughly the same stage of growth as the shape changes significantly throughout it's cycle, particularly as it is transitioning from female to male flowers.

Last edited by Gabe15 : 01-09-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Gabe15 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Gabe15
Said thanks: