View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kat2

Zone: 10A or 9B ish. Like it matters?
BananaBucks : 239,606
Said "Thanks" 2,921 Times
Was Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,322 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 595 Times
Default Why do people bury stuff on their property?

My father, child of farmers, grandchild of farmers, etc., loved to build burn piles made of sticks and wood he never lit. I never understood that quirk of my daddy with a PhD in physics but accepted that our 3 acres would have stacks of stuff in many places. But at least his gatherings eventually went away after having served as nesting places for rabbits and other small animals including snakes. Eek.

But today, as on other days, I encountered more of the entombed/time capsule stuff on my 1/3 acre. Metal, trash, wood and cement leavings along with bottle caps (mucho Corona), gaskets, plastic whatevers and even rugs buried so deep I can't get them out--yet. Some metal has value for recycling and some can be sold or used (if I can figure out what to do with two 12' or longer sections of fence) because it's in great shape.

And then there are the cinder blocks.

Where did they come from? My house is block; there are no other structures on my lot built from such. I was told by a neighbor that there are enough for another house in the back jungle I have not completely investigated but, unless the blocks are buried very deep, he's wrong. Or perhaps he's right but they've been scattered because whenever I do a little digging or mowing, I find another one. Where they are make no sense. Sure, if you need to prop up a wooden fence or a shed edge or even make something not level temporarily, they work. But why in the middle of the yard? Or 1' from a fence? Or under a tree? Or by the mailbox? Why where they are? I have a theory about the last owner who wouldn't pay his mortgage (this was a foreclosure) but could sure find the money for cameras--he found the stash in the back and buried some arbitrarily with the tips exposed to trip up the marauders from invading his castle grounds. Think land mines in case his 3 wolf hounds weren't enough deterrent. Why else?

BTW, today I pulled out one that was taller than normal--12" or so. Gosh, that was heavy. When did anyone use those blocks? I'm thinking I may have my own Stonehenge going here. Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone that I'm probably sitting on an ancient archaeological site...haven't found any bodies yet...won't dig that deep so I'm good. Right?

Last edited by Kat2 : 09-23-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Kat2 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Kat2
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors