View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Longwoods Tropicals

Zone: 6
BananaBucks : 31,405
Said "Thanks" 53 Times
Was Thanked 244 Times in 73 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Sikkimensis Red Tiger?

Three years ago I managed to only germinate a single seed from a large order from The Banana Tree. It came from a batch labeled as musa acuminata. It never looked like any other Cavendish I'd seen, then I saw a picture of a Zebrina and for a while I thought that was it, but after pouring over the google images I now believe it to be a musa sikkimensis red tiger...

Another reason I believe it to be this is that it sailed through the frosts I had mid to late May this year (they were covered up as was everything else, but temps hit the upper 20s on two occasions and this plant was the least affected)

Should I risk it and just protect it as if it was a Basjoo or should I just dig it up for the winter?

Thanks
Longwoods Tropicals is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Longwoods Tropicals

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors