View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
a.hulva@coxinet.net

Zone: 73034
Name: Al
BananaBucks : 48,242
Said "Thanks" 3,695 Times
Was Thanked 779 Times in 317 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 437 Times
Default Re: Namwah and Ice Creams Very Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been using white vinegar with the Foliage Pro. I read on another tropical plants forum, that a lot of guys swore by "weakly weekly" FP with vinegar. The small amount of vinegar is supposed to slightly adjust the pH lower to help the plants absorb the nutrients in the fertilizer. Checking with my cheap pH meter, the pH would go down to 6.5 or 7, then pretty quickly back up to 7.5 or 8.

I read about it at:
Foliage Pro and vinegar, poll: what dose do you use
Foliage-Pro Question

Showing the pH reading on my meter

Roots on Namwah today. Yes, it was recently watered. No, it wasn't that wet constantly.

I had the same idea to go up to a bigger pot until I can plant them in the ground. I thought maybe the sun was baking the roots by shining on the side of the small black nursery pots the bananas are in. Looking at the root ball on one of the Namwahs, the roots seem like they were mostly killed at one point, but the lower ones look like they are growing and branching out now.
White roots are good, black roots are rotted. Looks "root bound". If it has been. Suggest potting in much larger pot. pH should be Around 6, but you should have tested buy your local extension office. I don't think the pH has caused your problem.
a.hulva@coxinet.net is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To a.hulva@coxinet.net