View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
meizzwang

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 69,324
Said "Thanks" 647 Times
Was Thanked 1,032 Times in 218 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Fake Ice Cream, Fake California Gold:show us your TC Bananas!

If you've bought a TC banana in the past that was either correctly labeled or mislabeled, feel free to post pictures in this thread! Let us know where you got it from! TC plants are very easy to mix up, and if you got the short end of the stick, it's hard to pinpoint where things went wrong.

I bought an Ice Cream and California Gold from Greenearth Publishing in 2014. From what I'm reading on this forum, the tissue cultured Ice Cream from Agristarts is likely Namwah, and the California gold might be either a williams or orinoco (not sure if Agristarts is the source for this TC california gold).

My plants are still babies, so I can't say they're fake just yet. While many in the Bay Area, CA aren't able to get bananas to fruit because our temperatures are too cool, my hope is that the giant cement wall behind them will help radiate enough heat to make things happen and protect them during the winter (see pics below). I'd be interested to see if any of you notice characteristics in these plants pictured below that would suggest whether or not they are the real deal.

Here's my TC "California Gold" from Green Earth Publishing Co:

Here's my TC "ice cream" from Green Earth Publishing Co. Notice the red edging on the leaves:

Here's a TC raja puri that I bought at a farmer's market south of San Francisco, CA. These were already hardened off and established in 5" pots, and for some reason, my gut says these might be the real deal. What do you think? (edit: 5/1/17: ID'ed as american goldfinger)

New leaf opened up on my TC "raja puri." Even if this isn't the real deal, it's a really beautiful plant. It's amazing how huge the leaves can get with such a relatively small p-stem:

Purchased this one as Veinte Cohol from the same farmer's market mentioned above. Again, my gut says this might be the real deal, any ideas? (edit: ID'ed as hi color mini, plant was culled)

and a group shot. From top to bottom, all TC starts: Veinte Cohol, Ice Cream, California Gold, Raja Puri, and Raja Puri again (edit 5/1/17: zero of the plants that I thought I purchased turned out to be what they were sold as. from top to bottom: hi color mini, rajapuri, williams, american goldfinger, and american goldfinger!)

Last edited by meizzwang : 05-01-2017 at 04:58 PM.
meizzwang is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To meizzwang
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors