View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hestbech

BananaBucks : 7,581
Said "Thanks" 6 Times
Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Ensete Glaucum - first try sowing banana

Hi all

I just received a batch of 50 seeds of Ensete Glaucum from rarepalmseeds.com - palm seeds, cycad seeds, banana seeds. I never tried growing bananas, so I'm exitied to give it a try. I've been reading the forum for a couple of days, and my workflow will be:

- Cleaning/rinsing the seeds with a rough sponge
- soaking in water/saltpeter solution (how long, and how strong?)
- 6-7 days of soaking in 25 degCelcius water. 1gEpsomSalt/1Litre of water
- Sucking the seeds for 10 minutes (cant remember where on the forum i read that - something about enzymes :-) )
- Short rinse in Hydrogen peroxide to sterilize and kill bad fungi.
- Propagation in a sterile warm moist environment until sprouts appear. I'm going to use coco coir to keep it moist. (I'm sterilizing the coir with boiling water)
- Sowing in jiffy coir pellets
- Placing in pots after 2-3 leaves.

I read that while soaking the seeds I should change the water once a day. Why is that? Because of rot? I'm also growing giant sequoia - they were soaked in aerated water:
https://youtu.be/fvcsq7J6Eao
If i used that technique for the Ensete, would I still have to change the water once a day?

I would appreciate any suggestions for a better workflow, or if any of you see some errors.

Best regards from Denmark
Hestbech is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Hestbech
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors