View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kat2

Zone: 10A or 9B ish. Like it matters?
BananaBucks : 238,630
Said "Thanks" 2,921 Times
Was Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,322 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 595 Times
Default How big/old does a plant need to be in order

for members to guess varieties? I realize bananas in fruit are easiest but I'd love to know sooner if possible.

Before today I had 1 known mystery banana and now have 3. I think I was told that 1 is a Peruvian and 1 a Panamanian which I realize are nicknames for the plants. Right? (I really need to take blank tags and a Sharpie with me whenever I go on field trips so I don't later "adapt" what I heard.) Both owners said the fruits are wonderful but neither spoke perfect English so I'm sure I missed something pertinent. It seems one only grows about mid thigh tall before fruiting. Is that possible? No splotches on either and the bareroot pup that supposedly remains short suffered a bit of leaf bending during her trip home in the trunk so will need some TLC when potted tomorrow.

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors