View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 261,025
Said "Thanks" 6,024 Times
Was Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,894 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: "Ice cream" banana cold hardy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana berserker View Post
In the spring Im going to buy my first banana tree (actualy its considered a perrenial). I want an ice cream banana tree, but i want to make sure its cold hardy. Im a nooby and dont know a lot about bananas.
I see you are up near Rocklin on the map. You should put that in your profile as it will be easier for more folks to help you. I don't know some of the other members I see located just south of you but Microfarmer is not far away and you should probably go pay him a visit. Maybe he can sell you a so-called "California Gold" pup since they fruit reliably in our climate. I'm further south down in the Delta, but our climate is pretty similar. This year has not been that gold, actually. Last year was much colder in January and so was 1990. We had 20F at our place last January and my Ice Cream died but my two Dwarf Orinoco and one Raja puri had pups come back from the corm after the pseudostems died from the freeze. I don't see anything that has died yet this year. You might also try a Dwarf Brazilian. They have such a stout pseudostem that it may be what helps them seem to be pretty hardy. Joe Real from Davis thinks his is hardier than his California Gold.

Good luck and welcome to the board!