View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kevin2685
kevin2685

Zone: 5
Name: kevin
BananaBucks : 32,190
Said "Thanks" 366 Times
Was Thanked 407 Times in 142 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 18 Times
Default Re: How deep to plant Basjoo zone 5?

I planted mine at normal depth which was top of soil in pot to around the top of soil in the ground. Some people like to plant them deeper but mine came back this year no problem. I cut mine down to almost the ground on a slight angle not completely straight across to let it drain some.But this year I will try and leave a little more height.Going back through my pictures looks like I cut mine down last year on October 29th. Its going to be different every year but I just watched the weather and do it accordingly. I added a little bit of mulch but then like a week later November 5 th I added little more mulch cause I didn't think the couple bags I added was enough and 1 bale of straw and then topped it off with just enough mulch to keep the straw weighed down. I think I used 6 bags of mulch then one bale of straw and 2 bags on top of straw total. Then I placed tarp over the mound and used tent stakes on all 4 corners and bricks on a couple edges were there were no holes for stakes still leaving some openings for air. I kept it covered all winter and didn't uncover intill the weather was warmer into the 40's at night.then I removed all the straw and mulch and inspected and looked for any rot. I kept a spare bale of straw around in the garage so if the chance of frost or cold weather came around I could cover it. Was glad I did cause I had one last unexpected dip in temperatures and frost for couple days. I covered it with just extra bale of straw and tarped it again to keep it dry.Cold and wet is what I wanted to avoid to prevent rot. If it's in the 40's at night they are fine they just don't grow.The neighbor just put stakes around his and covered with moving blankets when that cold spell hit and removed when it got above 40 at night. His way was probally better to deal with that last dip cause cleaning up all that straw sucked but I had the extra around so might as well use it.If it was warm and sunny in the day before I uncovered everything sometimes I would take the tarp off but cover with the tarp again before it got cold and dark to let some air get to that pile in spring time and dry up some. I didn't water it till it got nice and warm just let the spring rain do my watering. That's how I did mine.

Musa basjoo
Dwarf orinico
Variegated dwarf namwah
Aeae
Patupi
Veinte cohol
Musa lasiocarpa (golden lotus)
Musa velutina
Raja puri
Mekong giant
Double cavendish
Super dwarf cavendish
Truly tiny
Musa laterita
Ensete maurelli

Last edited by Kevin2685 : 06-25-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Kevin2685 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Kevin2685
Said thanks: