View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
a.hulva@coxinet.net

Zone: 73034
Name: Al
BananaBucks : 48,242
Said "Thanks" 3,695 Times
Was Thanked 779 Times in 317 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 437 Times
Default Re: Siam Ruby question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownz281 View Post
Have grown this in the past and did great and grew to 5ft. Survived our winters in the ground with mulch. Second year around it just kept melting away. Got a free one in bad shape from the same nursery. Melted away.
Got a large one with pups today.
Part of the original question was "Do they do better with more shade and lighter waterings?" The picture below is a new plant this year and has been planted for two + months in full sun no problem. It is always in the 90s+ all summer here. As to watering, as with most bananas they do much better and have a very much better chance of surviving and flurishing if planted in extremely good draining soil mix. I personally use pure COURSE river sand. I put a potting mix in the hole as liner. I fill with the sand, mounded it, up and plant in the middle of the mound. Water well at planting, then every other day or so until roots are established then as you wish. The whole purpose of this excersize is to prevent root or corm rot. Over watering at the bigging is a killer. Just my two cents.
https://40.media.tumblr.com/8fab533d...if5o1_1280.jpg
a.hulva@coxinet.net is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To a.hulva@coxinet.net
Said thanks: