View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
siege2050
Hobby obsessor maximus

Zone: zone 7
BananaBucks : 361,178
Said "Thanks" 854 Times
Was Thanked 1,295 Times in 614 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 85 Times
Default Re: Anybody add gypsum to their soil for calcium?

Its been out since about the 15th of april, this one is Saba, the pic was taken when the sun was very strong today so the leaf is folded. I have looked on a few sites and that seems to be what the early stages of calcium deficiency looks like. I will post a link to one of the sites I used to determine it. I am not sure of the exact acidity, but I know its pretty strong, my neighbors had theirs tested because of difficulties with grass, etc. and it came back very acidic, my yard is surrounded by oaks, hickories, pines, and wild blueberries, and all my hydrangeas that were pink when I bought them are now super blue. Considering how well the blueberries do, I am guessing its below 5.5. My soil is full of limestone, but the acidic nature of the trees over the years has made the soil very acidic. I need to eventually put down fresh lime, after I get the soil tested, but I am going to do research and figure out the dosage on my own, my neighbors grass was killed when they followed the extension offices recommendation, but they may have made a mistake.

Banana guide - plant nutrition

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any Banana pudding! How can you have any Banana pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!

Click for weather forecast

Last edited by siege2050 : 06-20-2015 at 12:37 AM.
siege2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To siege2050
Said thanks: