View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
siege2050
Hobby obsessor maximus

Zone: zone 7
BananaBucks : 358,850
Said "Thanks" 854 Times
Was Thanked 1,295 Times in 614 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 85 Times
Default Re: How to start tiny pups?

Some basjoo pup pretty quick, some dont. I have a new one right now that has about a foot and a half of pstem and has 3 pups coming up. And I have 2 others the same size with no pups. But when they get larger, basjoo pup like crazy constantly, and I am always giving some away around here. One thing I have noticed that makes them pup heavily is if the top of the corm is exposed to the air, but this also creates a problem when it gets cold, and the pups dont have their pstems in soil very well. If the tiny pups are rootless, and have a piece of corm attached (looks like a solid white mass with tiny speckles, maybe a ring or two)there is a good chance they will root in a glass of water (not fully submerged) and I have done this a few times with several types of banana (rooting hormone not necessary), but if the break or cut looks like a series of rings only then its most likely just pstem that is missing corm and will not root. The weirdest pupper I have had was a TC musa sikkimensis that was 8 inches tall and had 8 tiny pups with leaves, and was in the process of making lots more, but it go no special treatment, hormones, etc. from me, it appeared to actually pup itself to death. Tissue culture makes some weird stuff happen sometimes.

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any Banana pudding! How can you have any Banana pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!

Click for weather forecast

Last edited by siege2050 : 06-15-2015 at 08:52 AM.
siege2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To siege2050
Said thanks: