View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #75 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 587
Said "Thanks" 3,865 Times
Was Thanked 11,705 Times in 4,870 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Smile Re: What are the Best Dwarf Varieties for Containers for the Midwest? Dwarf Gros Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP View Post
Well yes, but look at the temperatures in the greenhouse. About the same as it is indoors in an average home. 77 degrees F or so.
The only difference is humidity, (which is self made), which could be replicated by simply tenting the plants with clear plastic. (So is humidity the magic factor?) If they can grow bananas like that as far north as Iceland, in temps that are equivalent to room temperature, then why can't anyone in Midwest or northern USA?
Actually we can, however one has to have the means to do it
and generally the casual backyard gardner does not want to put forth the resources for something they can get a the corner grocery.

I think that was covered that in my first few posts with the possible costs associated with fruiting the plant and the quality of fruit in the subsequent posts that other forum members added.

Your grow season is ticking away. Less than 170 days ......go to the big box store and pick up a cavendish and get started, the plants are less than ten bucks and get that first season under your belt to understand the plants needs. At ten bucks you have nothing to lose.
.Plants for sale at Lowes by Hostafarian, on Flickr.
.Check this out.
Currently some of the the BEST info to grow your plant indoors in the winter will be found in the Cannibis forums.
Requirements and conditions are similiar.
And to do it right the costs are similiar.
And R.O.I is significantly higher.

This is one big reason in the north that these plants are not in everyones living room and are sold as an annual.
R.O.I> Return on investment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by cincinnana : 05-30-2015 at 06:16 AM.
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Said thanks: