View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
siege2050
Hobby obsessor maximus

Zone: zone 7
BananaBucks : 360,448
Said "Thanks" 854 Times
Was Thanked 1,295 Times in 614 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 85 Times
Default Re: m.velutina seeds: beginner's luck?

Fresh Velutina seeds usually sprout easily. As they dry and age, they become dormant and harder to germinate as do other Musa. I have had seeds sprout in 1 week from my mother plants when fresh, and waited months for older purchased seed. Sprouting banana seeds in a damp paper towel usually works best and quickest for me, but watch for mold if you try it. I would not put seedlings in full sun until they are older as in nature they grow under other and older plants, but they will need bright light to keep from stretching. Adult Velutina seem to do well and bloom in dappled shade anyway, and are probably an under story forest banana in nature. Get them used to sunlight gradually over a week or so if you do decide to put them in full sun, or they will burn, even as adults after spending the winter indoors. Its been my experience that Velutina gets taller than what most sellers say even in containers, and mine usually touch the ceiling in winter with the leaf tips. I cut them back to a couple of feet, and let them re grow slowly over winter, but if they have not already bloomed by fall, and your interested in harvesting seeds for experimenting with again, and your plants are too tall and you do this for space constraints. Be careful not to cut through an emerging flower bud (I have done it), and look for a bulge in the stem as an indicator of the flower bud (will move upward over a few days). I have so many of them now, I just cut them back, and let new pups bloom the next summer if I cut though a bud.

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any Banana pudding! How can you have any Banana pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!

Click for weather forecast

Last edited by siege2050 : 05-24-2015 at 04:40 AM.
siege2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To siege2050
Said thanks: