View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 03:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
siege2050
Hobby obsessor maximus

Zone: zone 7
BananaBucks : 361,261
Said "Thanks" 854 Times
Was Thanked 1,295 Times in 614 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 85 Times
Default Re: I have a grandpup!

Depends on what species or cultivar it is too, I have separated Musa Orinoco pups that did not even have visible leaves yet, and were just points barely above the surface, and all six out of six sprouted with no problem, but some species types like Musa Velutina dont separate well for me without die back, even with a lot of roots, but do recover. I have Musa Sikkimensis pups I am fixing to separate (Plain Green, and Red tiger) that I grew from seed last year, but have been told by some that they also dont separate very well without die back either. I hope they do okay as I am wanting as many of them as I can get for back ups in case of winter death for the first few years. Basjoo usually do fine as long as you get enough of the roots and around 3 true leaves, but you will probably cut a few wrong at first like I did. There is a certain angle toward the mother corm that they must be cut at to get the roots, but I have sprouted pups that I did not get any roots on by placing them in a glass of water till roots formed, but you have to get enough of the corm that is solid looking with small speckles. If you just see all rings in the cut you probably missed the corm and cut too high, in which case the pup will just sprout from the mother again usually. Musella Lasiocarpa is the hardest to separate, and also the most prolific I have come across, and I dont even try it till fall when I dig the mother plants for crawlspace storage so they will bloom the next year. But I have rooted these in a glass of water as well before giving up and waiting till the fall dig.

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any Banana pudding! How can you have any Banana pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!

Click for weather forecast

Last edited by siege2050 : 05-24-2015 at 03:19 AM.
siege2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To siege2050
Said thanks: