View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 01:53 AM   #57 (permalink)
SSP

Zone: 6
BananaBucks : 14,095
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: What are the Best Dwarf Varieties for Containers for the Midwest? Dwarf Gros Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post
Going Bananas of Homestead Florida Banana & Banana Plant Descriptions

VEINTE COHOL - A dessert variety originating in the Philippine area and having green pseudostem with some brown patches. The small plump fruit (3-4") are soft and sweet. Height about 8-10 ft. Current research shows it to be rapid to fruit, a real plus in the short summers. This is what you have been asking for, one that fruits fast before the warmth is gone for those short growing seasons!
Well, other varieties mentioned still seem more suited. The Veinte Cohol is too tall for indoors at any time of the year, not "full size" fruit (8 inches or more), and probably not any faster fruiting (nor shows any better performance in "cooler" climates) than a Patupi. Correct? And Patupi is shorter in height? Full size fruit? Good quality fruit? So that would still make Patupi theoretically better, even if "unproven" in our climate. (Since neither is VC).
Dwarf Cavendishes are very proven to work indoors and in our climate. They are sold everywhere for indoors, so they must perform well in cooler conditions. "Double" -- Is that a Dwarf Cavendish cultivar? 5 feet, 60 pounds fruit? Full size bananas (8 inches)? That would be extremely ideal, if it (like other DC's) performs well indoors and "cooler" areas. The only drawback is again, it probably isn't any different from store bought fruit.
A word about northern USA climates, at least here (midwest), our summers are hot. 85-100 degrees F at times. Night temps in 70's.
Indoor temps average near 75-80 F.
If I settled with a DC, "Double" sounds possibly ideal to try, depending on fruit quality.
Patupi also still seems near the top of the list.
Of course I'll always want to try some form of Gros Michel, if there was any feasible way. If there was a shorter plant (shortest I heard of is called "Lowgate", but who knows), and one that has a faster cycle, and can tolerate slightly cooler temps. But does one exist?
From the info posted, these seem to be the top 3 to try here, but all of you have way more experience so maybe my points still aren't valid for these selections. Price is also a factor, otherwise I would try all of them :P
So let me know further opinions..

Last edited by SSP : 05-22-2015 at 01:55 AM.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To SSP