View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
luteo

Zone: 6
BananaBucks : 18,968
Said "Thanks" 24 Times
Was Thanked 79 Times in 31 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: What are the Best Dwarf Varieties for Containers for the Midwest? Dwarf Gros Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP View Post
It's the Nature Conservancy of Ohio Protect Ohio Natural Preservation | The Nature Conservancy

They work here with the Kitty Todd Center and Oak Openings preserve, which has brought back several endangered species, both plants and animals. One federally endangered species of butterfly as well, the Karner Blue, it was bordering on extinction. It was brought back into the Kitty Todd preserve and then Oak Openings. We visit both each year, really amazing experience! They have a special limited sale of native species of plants each year (coming up next weekend, actually), if they feel you know what you are doing they will sell special propagations of endangered and rare species of the local genotype for you to help grow and propagate. Ohio Junegrass is one, which we grow, as well as Ohio's species of prickly pear cactus. The whole northern part of Ohio used to all be wetlands, which was about as important to as many species as the rainforests are. Oak Openings and Kitty Todd are probably the only places that are left of what used to be here for thousands of years.
We also do rearing and tagging of Monarch butterflies, which were nearing a threatened status in recent years. It's really rewarding to be able to take part in such things.
I had desired to go to this plant sale, but was unable to. Not only that prickly pear cactus but some milkweed for the monarchs are two things I would have been after. That's cool, I didn't know they brought back the Karner Blue here!
luteo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To luteo