View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
PR-Giants
Commercial Grower

BananaBucks : 3,027
Said "Thanks" 2,900 Times
Was Thanked 12,463 Times in 3,620 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3,204 Times
Default Re: What are the Best Dwarf Varieties for Containers for the Midwest? Dwarf Gros Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturabananas View Post

Cycle length is affect by genetics and the environment, in a complicated way. For example, a cultivar that is "normal" cycle in the tropics, like Cavendish, is long cycle in my climate, whereas Namwah, which is on the long side in the tropics isn't much longer in my climate. The result is that they have about the same cycle length in my climate.
The more you know about cycle lengths and stress the less complicated it is. For example, I grow some cultivars with "short" cycles and "normal" cycles that will retain similar cycle lengths in your climate depending on the month they flower. There's more than enough information available on the internet for people to make good choices on which cultivars to grow. I read a very interesting paper that compared suckers and tissue cultures from mother plants grown in a stressed environment to suckers and tissue cultures from mother plants grown in a "normal" environment, they studied all 4 types from multiple cultivars in both environments.

A little reading can saves years of "trial and error".

PR-Giants Photo Gallery

15,000+ Varieties

PR-Giants is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To PR-Giants
Said thanks: