View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
SSP

Zone: 6
BananaBucks : 14,104
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: What are the Best Dwarf Varieties for Containers for the Midwest? Dwarf Gros Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
First post...Welcome to the Jungle!!!!

Our average grow season is 170+- frost to frost.

The season is not long enough to complete the full fruit cycle......But you might be able to pull it off over the winter in a hot house.

Cost to upkeep usually is a factor to keep this plant viable over the seasons to produce fruit .

Try a cavendish also as the plant is easy to get........as the saying goes.. Homegrown tomatoes always taste better....There is no comparison.
Hi! Hey a fellow Buckeye who is also interested in growing bananas... some might say its "bananas", but that's probably why it makes me want to do it even more so!
Cavendish is extremely available, it seems, but not sure of the quality compared to others. I've always been interested to try the Gros Michel or similar, since it was "the" banana sold up until the 60's or 70's. I never had a chance to try it before it was wiped out commercially. I hear was much better tasting than Cavendish, which apparently is what all supermarkets carry now. But maybe Cavendish is in fact, the closest there is to Gros Michel.. I have no way of knowing, but I'm sure lots of you guys might.
Dwarf Cavendish would be easy to bring in the house overwinter.
I guess I'm looking for the closest practical dwarf variety that is the closest to Gros Michel. Maybe that would be the common Dwarf Cavendish?
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To SSP
Said thanks: