View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 258,781
Said "Thanks" 6,024 Times
Was Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,894 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: I Got A Camera!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicgreen View Post
Harveyc, thankyou for the advice. I have joined p-base and another camera forum. Iam learning. I havent gotten my memory card yet. Glad i didnt, cuz ive learned a tad more from your post!
This canon rebel xti 400D has that sensor, that shakes the dust! And since you mentioned that......How did you clean the sensor?
As for shooting a fast moving object(alot of grandkids) would i adjust the camera speed to determine what type pic i like by trial and error?
Or is there a general speed for this?
Magicgreen
This is good information on cleaning your sensor, though there are other methods that are popular as well. http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

My favorite camera forum is www.fredmiranda.com, though I know it all by now (joking big time!) and don't visit it much these days. Another good forum is www.dpreview.com but there is a lot of rude folks there that I don't care for.

In general, if you're shooting with a 50mm lens (or at that range on a zoom lens), you'll want to shoot at roughly 1/80 of a second (round up to 1/100). The rule of thumb is actually 1/50 but your sensor has a 1.6 crop factor which means that a 50mm lens effectively is working for you as a 80mm lens (your sensor only catches a portion of the image being captured by the lens). That's a rule of thumb for relatively still objects and you'll want something faster than that for faster actions, but you need to balance it out with what available light you have (natural or flash).

There are many good brands of flash memory cards. I've usually bought SanDisk and have never had a problem. I've usually bought the high speed cards since I've had the "follow the herd" mentality, but that's not necessary.

You can get memory cards very cheap these days. I paid something like $125 for 2GB a few years ago. Here is a great deal. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...yword1=sandisk

I also recommend going through www.fatwallet.com whenever you shop online, but that's another matter!

Best wishes,

Harvey

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors