Thread: grafting ???
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mauro Gibo
Okinawan Bananeiro

Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
BananaBucks : 74,592
Said "Thanks" 648 Times
Was Thanked 286 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Question Re: grafting ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaroo View Post
I just watched a few videos on grafting. Anybody ever try this ? How's the success rate ? Any info would be appreciated.
I got a few ideas but don't want to waste the pups for nothing
Well, Jeffaroo, I am the only one in the forum, doing this kind of stuff. I think I started grafting banana plants around 2007, after I heard some banana growers in South America grafted banana plants, but nothing is certain. For most people I think it's a waste of time. The Lady Fingers and the Raja Puris I grafted on the Musa Basjoo stock as the scion did not survive the winter in my region, although I graft banana plants every year. Last year I grafted the Musa Balbisiana with the Basjoo and for the first time they survived the winter and are already growing this spring. This is a lifetime experiment and only a banana maniac like myself will do it. One way or another, by grafting or by pollination I will come out with a cold hardy species using the Musa Basjoo as the prime material. I was able to collect Basjoo seeds from my Basjoo blooms in the spring last year and I planted them in pots. At present I have 11 seedlings growing quite well. All the people I know have only Basjoo clones. What I want to say is that I haven't been successful in grafting bananas yet. If you want to try is up to you, if you do try, I think you should have a green house to protect the plants in the winter which I do not have. Best Wishes,
Mauro Gibo
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks: