View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
marco

Zone: 6
Name: marco
BananaBucks : 24,018
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Dandelion recipes ! ( NO Joke ! )

I'm blogging this ONE MORE TIME because it's REALLY IMPORTANT that everyone out there understands the importance of this issue:

1) Make sure you're picking dandelions or other edible greens from a location that could have never possibly been sprayed with any SYSTEMIC herbicide, particularly lawn chemicals like 2, 4-D !!!

Look for a 'virgin' site to pick your dandelions ( or other edible greens), in areas that couldn't have possibly ever been 'sprayed' by anyone !!!

2) For best overall taste and texture of dandelions it has been found by our family that they need to be picked and eaten ONLY VERY EARLY in the season !.......early to mid-spring at the latest !

As summer approaches and the plant 'hardens off' it becomes bitter tasting!
I don't recommend EVER cooking with 'mid, or late summer' dandys !!!

However...

I do know of a restauraunt owner in the northeastern Cincinnati area that contracts with an organic greenhouse for all of their salad fixings- including a continuous supply of seed grown dandelion greens !!!

Growing dandelions from seeds are a great WINTER option for people with smaller 'windowpane' style cold frames and the like, because dandys can germinate under glass, and actually do pretty well in 'winter greenhouse' conditions.
marco is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To marco