View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
inkcube
retired GMO maestro

BananaBucks : 4,213
Said "Thanks" 6 Times
Was Thanked 96 Times in 43 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: growing from seed or from TC?

a home setup can be done very easily. while working on my MS i had setup a home lab with a 29 gal. fish tank, piece of plastic sheeting, mason jars, baby food jars & a pressure cooker. i produced several thousand orchids generated from floral buds and carnivorous plants with this setup, because of this i was asked to join a lab at Yale and give a presentation at AIBS.

the fish tank on its side act as your hood, the plastic sheet is a curtain to hang over the open end to keep sterile, the pressure cooker is your autoclave - it runs on the same principle. you'll need alcohol (90% isopropyl) to sterilize the tank interior, instruments, etc, you can also wipe down the interior with a 10% bleach/water solution. NEVER mix bleach & alcohol!!!

your main difficulties will be getting chemicals; often they are sold only to labs or schools, they come in quantities that might be more than you'll need, & they can be expensive. another problem will be a good analytical scale; the purchase of one can put you on the DEA watch list for 5 years and in some states they are classified as drug paraphernalia.

i can give more details on how i set this up if some one wants.

Last edited by inkcube : 01-02-2008 at 07:19 PM.
inkcube is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To inkcube
Sponsors