View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 506,731
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: I am New Here - Here is what i am growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebie View Post
Thanks for the information, I was under the impression that dwarf varieties where a lot shorter and primarily used indoor purposes.
In my view, growing a banana solely indoors for fruit production is a fallacy promoted by marketeers. First problem is the height. Bananas sprout their leaves upwards at first so most people would need a plant that fruits at a pstem height of two meters or less. So that restricts us to Super Dwarf Cavendish and a few others. These plants produce equally tiny fruit we're talking about 1cm x 9cm of flesh inside the skin of each finger in a bunch. Second problem is light. You'll need about 1200 Watts at 10 hours per day of 6400-6500 Kelvin color temperature light for 9 to 18 months per plant to bring it to fruit. Now unless you have a geothermal or hydroelectric power source on the property (or really deep pockets) this isn't going to happen. Instead, people taken in by these scammers usually end up with sick plants and feeling like they are poor gardeners. The sad thing is that they are probably good gardeners - they just chose the wrong plant to grow indoors.