View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #183 (permalink)
Mauro Gibo
Okinawan Bananeiro

Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
BananaBucks : 74,588
Said "Thanks" 648 Times
Was Thanked 286 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Bananas Brindando Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by asacomm View Post
Hello Mauro,

Thank you for your quick comments.

To be very frank with you, I find much hesitations to approve your so called "Grafting" banana
to be a way to crossbreed banana species. If such could be possible, there would not have been
agonies to find cold resistant bananas, and the world is filled up with cold hardy bananas anywhere.
The reality is, however, such has not been happend. But to tell the truth, I have been paying much
attention and respect to your experiments.

Now, for your information, I introduce you what I succeeded overwintering and harvest here
in Shizuoka City without any anticold protections.

1. So called "Miyazaki Banana" which could be a variety of vegetable banana
  that have been planted half widely for a long time in Miyazaki and Kagoshima areas.
2. A kind of local banana that has been secredly grown here inShizuoka area
for considerable long time. That is said to be transplanted by some sailer
from the Philippines and is considered to be a variety of Psang Awak.

The bananas overwintered by some protections on the pstems under the eaves are California Gold,
Hajaray, Dwf Orinoco, Ice Cream etc.

If you like to get more informations, I am pleased to do so.
Thank you for your information Mr. Asacomm. I have been living in Japan for 47 years and this is the first time I hear about the Miyazaki Banana. I know Miyazaki and Kagoshima Prefecture and I'm aware that it snows there. Sometimes, in the winter it gets colder than Mie, Prefecture, where I live. I really would like to get my hands in a Miyazaki Banana pup. Do you know if it is possible? Do you know anyone who is growing this precious banana? In my area no one grows bananas. Maybe because it gets too big and people don't have much space like I do. I am growing an Atlantic forest here in Mie, by my own with seeds of plants of the Atlantic Coast of South America, especially with Brazilian Pines, Araucaria Angustifolia, which produces edible seeds and the Chilean palms. I don't have any contact with banana enthusiasts here in Japan. The types of bananas you mentioned which are cold hardy, We don't have in Okinawa. Several years ago my brother brought me pups of about 5 or 6 types of famous bananas grown in Brazil but they did not survive the winter, that's why I started my experiments. Here is a video I made in the early spring few years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhIryzP2-oY
I hope you like it. I will post updates of my New Basjoo in the near future. Once again thank you for your information. Bye! Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks: