View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
kubali
kubali

Zone: 9B
Name: kub
BananaBucks : 37,053
Said "Thanks" 1,939 Times
Was Thanked 1,438 Times in 627 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,608 Times
Default Re: Has anyone purchased from Going Bananas in Homestead, FL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekkard View Post
Yeah, okay, my experience with GB is mixed. Yes, I visited Don in Homestead to select several banana varieties and they have become a valued part of our edible landscape. Don is a pretty great guy. However, our second purchase was less positive. Two of the five plants purchased died, one had unknown disease the other had a worm infestation. Sure Don agreed to replace the dead plants, BUT the replacement species were not the same species we had originally purchased AND we had to pay too much in S&H to replace plants which should never have been sold in the first place. While there we learned that the items sold were all tissue cultures whereas we believed them to be pups. Maybe today Don sells pups but at that time, it was all TC. Finally, "Round Up" is used on the property which is a problem for us, but maybe others could care less about this. End result: why should we pay a premium for TC plants when we can get TC plants cheaper from somewhere else? I hope our experience with GB was unique and that your experience will be smooth and positive. I also wish GB lots of continued success. But, if you want the whole picture, this is part of it. Yes, if possible you should inspect the plants prior to purchase. Further, if going all the way to Homestead, be sure to visit 1) Fruit and Spice Park and 2) Pine Island Nursery.
I have purchased about 15 plants from pine island and never had a problem with them at all I love their plants and service. If you are looking to buy in the south florida area, I have had nothing but great things to say about pine island Nursery just my 2 cents worth as a fruit tree buyer.Thank-you
kubali is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To kubali
Said thanks: