Thread: What root rot?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #73 (permalink)
Olafhenny

Zone: Hardiness Zone 6
Name: Olaf
BananaBucks : 246,012
Said "Thanks" 2,050 Times
Was Thanked 2,012 Times in 876 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 77 Times
Default Re: What root rot?

Hi Vicky,

Your pond has a fairly large surface area and is not as choked with water plants as Justin's.
Augmenting this would be a good rainstorm once in a while. Did you get those?

Best,
Olaf

Hi Justin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbyrd88888 View Post

My biggest dilemma will be around winter, when this water grown banana will be brought inside my GH. I will need to supply much more oxygen to the roots because I would like to keep this specimen aquatic.
In order to supply much more oxygen I will be frequently changing Distilled water as opposed to water from my pond. (reducing algae/build-up on water heater element and a cleaner environment for my basjoos roots).

Of course I'd like to have a diluted addition of Fruit Fuel too.

I would like to install a air stone or some kind of carbon filter in the bottom of the pot to deliver a higher air to water ratio.

My understanding is when the light is reduced and limited and/or the temp. goes down; the roots need more O2 than H2O among few other elements. Is this correct?

While basjoo maybe more hardy than others, this Almost seem like an ill attempt/reckless endeavor...?

I'm looking for tips, hints, or instructions for the best way to go about this?
I am speaking here from total lack of experience, but that has never kept me from
spouting off my opinion.

But I would not go through all that trouble to try keeping the plant aquatic throughout
the winter, whatever that entails???. I would rather winter it normally in the greenhouse
as you usually do and rely on "retraining" the plant to an aquatic existence in spring. That
is, if we did not have somebody, who has probably valuable experience, on this forum.
Thus I suggest you ask Vicky how she did it.

Best,
Olaf
PS: After posting this I noticed, that Vicky has enlightened us already as to how she did it

Last edited by Olafhenny : 09-12-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added PS
Olafhenny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Olafhenny