Thread: What root rot?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #69 (permalink)
Olafhenny

Zone: Hardiness Zone 6
Name: Olaf
BananaBucks : 245,296
Said "Thanks" 2,050 Times
Was Thanked 2,012 Times in 876 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 77 Times
Default Re: What root rot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbyrd88888 View Post
Here's an update; how she looks now Sept/12/2014
The one planted in soil looks perfect while the pond water one is recovering (not sure how fast but no more dark spots have appeared) 4 pups are growing on this one but aren't more than 1" tall (slow pups) But this makes me speculate the roots are making much head-way/progress? The water flow maybe 1-2 GPM but it's supplying good non-stop splashing that stays draining
Hi Justin,

that is very interesting and if the progress continues, it will strengthen the assertion,
that it is not water per se or over-watering, which causes root rot, but the lack of
oxygen in the water.

Wind sweeps the larger bodies of water, shown in my first post in this thread and
thereby aerates the water sufficiently.

In other words: If you saturate a pot, without drainage at the bottom, with water,
even if there is limited amount of oxygen contained in it, it will be soon depleted
and root rot will likely set in.

However if there are drain holes in the bottom of the pot, the draining water will
suck air (and oxygen) into the voids and thereby keep the roots healthy, even if
the water is replenished frequently. The same goes with your pond. The new
aeration will supply the needed oxygen. Of course full recovery will take some time.
The plant will have to replace the roots, which suffered damage while "suffocating"
and to be visible, the recovery will have to manifest itself in new, healthy growth

Please keep us informed of any further development. Yours is an experiment, which
has the potential to help clear up a lot of questions and presumptions about root rot.

Thank you,
Olaf

Olafhenny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Olafhenny
Said thanks: