Thread: What root rot?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #65 (permalink)
Olafhenny

Zone: Hardiness Zone 6
Name: Olaf
BananaBucks : 246,202
Said "Thanks" 2,050 Times
Was Thanked 2,012 Times in 876 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 77 Times
Default Re: What root rot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbyrd88888 View Post
I think your second post to this thread poses the most controversy.
Assuming light may also refer to warmth and nutrition cancels out any other problems a banana can acquire and the water is complete (oxygen too) and stress not being a factor it maybe reasonable to entertain your theory.
Hi Justin,

I am not sure, what you are trying to say here. Nobody in this forum would suggest
raising bananas in the arctic and the need to protect your plants in all of the warmest
regions of the US in winter has been discussed in hundreds of posts. It has been IMOEO
established, that banana pants can survive with their roots submerged in water for long
periods. I also do no longer doubt, that plants have on occasion suffered root rot while
their roots were submerged in water. What I am trying to figure out is, what makes
the difference. At this time I suspect that it is oxygen supply to the water and ultimately
to the roots. That is, where your experiment can be helpful: If you managed to supply
more oxygen to your pond through some form of aeration, and your plant subsequently
recovers, that would be a strong indicator in support of that theory.

I do not see, where my second post in this thread is unduly "controversial". As a
matter of fact, it fits right in with my need for oxygen theory: As the water drains out
through the bottom holes, it sucks air containing oxygen into the voids left between
the soil particles.

Quote:
I must say this water deal may not be totally too bad an idea.
The pup in water I have, has showed nice roots and two lil pup.

BUT I drilled many extra drain-holes and...
Images deleted for brevity

Quote:
...I don't want to take it out of water to recover sooo
Hope this will fix my problem... All my other plants are booming in the pond= about 3'-4" deepest 2500-2800 gallons. I have raised the banana plant a little higher as you can see.
The other plants appear to be all swamp or aquatic plants with either less need for
oxygen or being better equipped to withdraw it out of the water. My question is:
Does that "little pump" deliver the water back into the pond with some "splash"
to create aeration? A spray disperser would also help.

Thanks for working on this,
Olaf

Olafhenny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Olafhenny
Said thanks:
Sponsors