View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
burris

Zone: 7A
BananaBucks : 15,659
Said "Thanks" 41 Times
Was Thanked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Basjoo update after terrible winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinl01 View Post
It was a terrible winter even down here in Arkansas. You will get back to normal with that nice flat of basjoos in no time. Do you ever grow velutina?
@ Austin - I'm in the Arkansas River Valley as well (Russellville AREA). Last year i started my first bananas (Basjoo tiny plants from Atwoods) had 13 pots with the largest about 4 foot by frost. I overwintered them in my unheated greenhouse and like you say, it was uncommonly cold.

All basjoo came back fine. I lost some tropicals. This year, I'm going to heat a small 8 x 8 section of the greenhouse to 40 degrees and see how that works.

What other banana varieties do you grow successfully? I want to think i know where a banana plant is that survives all winter, but they may cover or take it in. I'll be watching to see this winter. It's about a 8 footer and i know I've seen it pretty late in the year.

Anyone know how low a temperature a bajoo can survive without dieing back? Maybe the size when you put it in the ground has something to do with it too.

Last edited by burris : 08-22-2014 at 11:43 AM.
burris is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To burris
Said thanks:
Sponsors