View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cpatrikis
Patrikis

Zone: 6-7
Name: Chris
BananaBucks : 16,091
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Inner Yellow Flowers Keep Falling Off!! Help!

Hey guys!!

I live on Long Island NY (Zone 8) and have 4-8 plants (pups included) and just got my first flower on the most mature plant after about 5 years!

--I usually bring them outside in about late april/ may, and bring the inside in the fall when the weather changes. Pretty short grow season, so Im ecstatic that I finally managed to produce a flower!

My question for you all is about the fruiting process and flowers…
My purple flower opened its first petals about a week or 2 ago, and when I returned home after not seeing them for a week, I noticed all of the inner flowers that had begun to emerge have been falling off the plant! I really don't know whats wrong. They just seem to fall off all on their own. Plant is getting PLENTY of water, and sunlight, and bugs/ birds wind don't seem to be an issue.

I covered the flower for a few days with a blue plastic bag with a hole on the bottom (as suggested on various pages) but removed it when the first sets of flowers weren't doing well (should I have waited for the fruit to develop first? maybe it was too hot inside the bag??). I read somewhere it might be because the flowers are male? however I don't know how this process works exactly.

If any of you have had experience with this in my climate zone, or know of someone who has, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Im just worried that all the flowers will fall, without developing into bananas. So far about 6 petals have opened and dropped, and I've lost about 12 of the yellow flowers thus far, from top to bottom.

PLEASE Help!!

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors