View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
CountryBoy1981

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 46,184
Said "Thanks" 98 Times
Was Thanked 234 Times in 118 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 6 Times
Default Re: Winterizing an SDC in zone 8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallen View Post
Continued from:

You are correct, and I know it is early, but I would like to winter my SDC outside this winter. I need to plan in advance.
We do get overnight freezes but it usually thaws by next afternoon.
We sometimes get a few storms where it may freeze for a week and rarely for two (such as the winter of 2013-14 where plants that usually make it were lost).
It only freezes down a few inches when is does freeze.
A mulch/plastic/mulch layer protects plants in the ground fine. (The plastic layer keeps the bottom mulch layer from sogging(Google says I invented a new word here) out and becoming ineffective)

MY SDC in a 21 gallon pot will require extra care. It is now to big to winter in our house.
We are on a low income so I was thinking of a hoop green house, I will also need some sort of heat blanket or lamp around the plant itself during our freezing weather. I am unfamiliar with the tech usually used for this purpose. Suggestions are welcome.
Cover it with a blanket and it should be fine depending if it is in the high or low twenties at night.
CountryBoy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To CountryBoy1981
Said thanks: