View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pallen
Container SDC Hobbyist

Zone: 8b
Name: Paullen
BananaBucks : 30,866
Said "Thanks" 573 Times
Was Thanked 241 Times in 82 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 113 Times
Default Winterizing an SDC in zone 8b

Continued from:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocked Banana View Post
Plant looks fantastic but im not sure a hoop house will be enough to keep it alive in your area. SDC do not tolerate freezes at all. Do u get many cold nights?
You are correct, and I know it is early, but I would like to winter my SDC outside this winter. I need to plan in advance.
We do get overnight freezes but it usually thaws by next afternoon.
We sometimes get a few storms where it may freeze for a week and rarely for two (such as the winter of 2013-14 where plants that usually make it were lost).
It only freezes down a few inches when is does freeze.
A mulch/plastic/mulch layer protects plants in the ground fine. (The plastic layer keeps the bottom mulch layer from sogging(Google says I invented a new word here) out and becoming ineffective)

MY SDC in a 21 gallon pot will require extra care. It is now to big to winter in our house.
We are on a low income so I was thinking of a hoop green house, I will also need some sort of heat blanket or lamp around the plant itself during our freezing weather. I am unfamiliar with the tech usually used for this purpose. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Pallen : 08-18-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Pallen is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Pallen
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors