View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Terri

BananaBucks : 26,027
Said "Thanks" 23 Times
Was Thanked 36 Times in 17 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Musa basjoo not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranon View Post
So I planted a few Musa Basjoo plants in the yard last year and they grew fairly well over the summer. When winter hit it killed the leaves so I cut the plants back and covered them with a planter pot, and a trash bag full of leaves, then built a metal cage around them and put even more leaves in. Should have been the perfect protection but to this day they have not come back, the pstem I left above ground rotted as I expected but nothing came up from the corm. I am fairly disappointed. I keep going outside hoping to see some new growth even if it is too late in the summer but still nothing..

Any idea as to what happened? Granted last summer they weren't 10 feet tall plants but they had plenty of pups. I'm in Nebraska so we get cold winters but they had good protection from the cold.
Last winter was the coldest I have seen in Kansas in years. I suspect that even with protection it was too cold.

I wouldn't know as the power company killed mine a couple of years ago: I am thinking of getting more. We changed the right of way and my basjoo was where they parked their trucks that summer.

Last edited by Terri : 07-29-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Terri is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Terri
Sponsors