View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Terri

BananaBucks : 26,667
Said "Thanks" 23 Times
Was Thanked 36 Times in 17 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default I would like to get back into bananas this Fall. Or should I wait until spring?

I am in zone 5, and I lost my bananas a couple of years ago. I cannot say that I blamed them as they were in the power company's new right of way and they used that area as a parking lot. The bananas never even broke the soil! I cannot be too upset because the power company paid well to shift the right of way, and we DID accept their offer! But I miss my Basjoos!

So, anyways. Starting Basjoo's in the Fall in zone 5. The frost line is perhaps 2 foot down in most years, which means that the roots would freeze solid. With the adult plants I would cover them with a heap of leaves and they came back every year. A new plant would not be as deep rooted, but I do not know if that would be a problem or not.

Or, could I bring them inside and keep them dark and dry? Would that make them go dormant? Does that work for young, small plants?

Lastly, is there a very hardy banana that is smaller than Basjoo? If the plant was smaller I might be able to winter one inside and possibly get fruit, or is a 6 month growing season too short for that? I do have the typical 8 foot tall ceilings!
Terri is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Terri
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors