View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
RafaelNJ

Zone: 6a
BananaBucks : 13,535
Said "Thanks" 6 Times
Was Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Replanting Basjoos late in season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocked Banana View Post
Ya I would try to mound the soil as high as you can at the end of the season (you know maybe half way up the trunk, or less depending on how big).You will end up with a nice raised bed and you can mulch the top of that.
By saying to bring into the house you made me think about bringing them into the basement for the winter in pots, would you advise that over just mulching them over? I don't think I can really built up any soil around them because they growing right next to other shrubs. Best I could do is throw a bit of mulch on top of them but hearing you I don't even think that would be enough. I could try to put them in the pot and leave by my bedroom window (If I convince my wife its just for this winter) but how would they do with not much light ? Tough choices.
I was reading your post again and now I am bit confused, you said june would be latest to replant the basjoos for you. So what about the Bananas I just bought from Home Depot ( I think I said lowes previously)? Technically I am replanting them into the ground in July, are they going to die in the winter cuz they are planted too late ?
RafaelNJ is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To RafaelNJ