View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
RafaelNJ

Zone: 6a
BananaBucks : 13,453
Said "Thanks" 6 Times
Was Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Replanting Basjoos late in season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocked Banana View Post
The latest I would transplant is June, but thats just me. If you insist on keeping them out I would transplant them deeper asap, as in this weekend. Alternatively, I suggest that u just keep mounding soil up around them, bit by bit, to avoid transplant shock, and will keep water away from the stem.

If you pot them up they will be much larger next year. What you must understand about bananas, is that the main part of the plant is underground, the corm. The corm is where all of the plants energy comes from, which is why burrying the plant deeper protects it, you are protecting the corm from freezing. Even if the plant were chopped down and was shorter next year, it would still have a larger corm, and so more energy stores, which will result in much faster growth. It is growing slow right now bc your plants have virtually no corm since nurseries buy tissue cultured plants. Your plants are currently focusing on growing roots to feed the corm. As the corm contunues to develop, the growth rate will increase.
Well the nursery told me it will be fine to replant later but I should have known they usually have no clue. Are you saying I should pot them up and bring into the house? I really do not have a good area inside that would even get any decent sun. The sliding patio doors are located so that no sun hits them till probably 6pm in the evening. The only windows I can put them by is my bedroom which also doesn't get any light till late PM. Or do you suggest me put them in pots and leave in my unheated basement for the winter? it will have no light there at all and I cannot be raising my electric bill for plant winterization. They would stay dormant perhaps but they would still die off from what I understand above ground. Maybe I should just mulch them for the winter outside and see what happens?
RafaelNJ is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To RafaelNJ
Said thanks: