View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
kentiopsis
kentiopsis

Location: Khonkaen, Thailand, an agricultural and horticultural center in NE Thailand
Zone: Unknown, but tropical
Name: kentiopsis
BananaBucks : 31,738
Said "Thanks" 27 Times
Was Thanked 103 Times in 47 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 13 Times
Send a message via Skype™ to kentiopsis
Default Re: what is this ???

You gotta love plant people! I know a Filipina woman whose mom shoved seeds or keikis of her favorite tobacco down her pants and brought them to Hawaii from the Philippines. When I moved to Thailand, I packed two seedlings of lignum vitae ( Guaiacum officinale) and a wild-collected New Guinea banana in my suitcase. Lost the banana, sadly, but the lignum vitae are thriving. LV is CITES Red Listed, but I collected my seedlings from under a plant in a botanical garden, where, eventually, the grounds crew would have raked them up and destroyed them. Sent two other plants to a friend in California; proud of myself! Plant people like this are usually happy to give you cuttings, seeds, or pups at no charge—at least that's my experience. There is a notably stingy, egotistical member of the International Palm Society who won't give anybody anything because he wants to be the only one to have certain palms. He is a prominent exception.
-kb
kentiopsis is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To kentiopsis
Said thanks: