Thread: Fruit Fuel
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #90 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 260,407
Said "Thanks" 6,024 Times
Was Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,894 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: Fruit Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Exactly my point.

l have also studied irrigation injectors in detail. There is good reason for requiring constant concentration in delivery: one of them being the incompressibility of water. When it comes to outlets, the result is always "first come first served". This is very important to keep in mind when using an injector for chemigation.
Richard, you wrote earlier that over half of the first 10% solution would go to the first outlet in the line. I then indicate most of it would continue to flow past the first outlet. And then you say that is exactly your point. These are not congruent.

There are different scenarios on how such an injector could deliver the fertilizer. If one began injecting into a drip hose (for either drip emitters or micro-sprinklers) that was empty when the water was turned on, much of the first 10% would go to the end of the line as water flowed to fill the drip hose. Such would be the case in my orchards which drain after my 5 HP pump is turned off (I pump about 125 GPM for my orchard). If someone was irrigating a line that was already full and the grower was using outlets that offered little resistance, a higher percentage of the solution would flow out of the first outlet.

I am not recommending the product but your explanation that a majority of the solution coming out of the first outlet simply is not accurate. It could actually work okay, releasing the fertilizer fairly evenly in all of the outlets in the right situations, though I certainly don't advocate such a quick injection of the fertilizer. My typical orchard irrigation is about 15 hours long and I inject fertilizer after the system has been running for a couple of hours (spending much of that time checking for coyote damage, etc.) and then inject my fertilizer solution over an hour or two. I use Mazzei verturi-style injectors which are the dominant product used in orchards in California.