View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
hanabananaman

Zone: 9-10
Name: Larry
BananaBucks : 46,441
Said "Thanks" 230 Times
Was Thanked 143 Times in 68 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 183 Times
Default Re: banana plants all dying

I am growing bananas on the other side of town on the Mesa/Tempe border and I was also having a hard time with my plants until recently when I started using a different fertilizer. For over a year I was using a banana fert. from Wellspring and was not getting good results. I am not going to mention the name because Richard also sells a fert. that goes by the same name. I want to be certain that no one confuses the two of them. Most of you probably already know which one I mean, the rest of you can go to the Wellspring site to find out the name. Please make sure that no confusion is created, I do not want to cause Richard any problems. I am sure someone will mention it in a reply and that's OK but make sure you hang the Wellspring name on it. I plan on sending Wellspring an email and ask them if they want to pay to have a lab here analyze one of the unopened bags I have left. I want to post some lab reports to back up the poor performance I have experienced. I don't have $150+ to spend getting it analyzed, maybe they do. I used a double dose of it a couple times to get some better growth. The fertilizer that is working so well is Classicote 15-8-23, it is a 4 month time release that is great for small plants that need frequent watering but should probably not be used less than 4 months before cold weather starts. I am going to get some fert. from Richard soon that is water soluble and it will allow me to have better control of nutes during flowering after the time release has been used up. Our water here is very hard and with our severe lack of rain recently salts can build up easily. A heavy flushing watering may help until some rain arrives. Our meager rain will never flush container grown plants very well unless you collect it in buckets and run it through the pots.
hanabananaman is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To hanabananaman
Said thanks:
Sponsors