View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Kat2

Zone: 10A or 9B ish. Like it matters?
BananaBucks : 239,613
Said "Thanks" 2,921 Times
Was Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,322 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 595 Times
Default Re: Article: GM Banana Designed to Increase Vitamin A in the Diets of the Poor in Afr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post
Plantains have quite a bit more beta carotene than a Hua Moa, but both still have very little compared to a sweet potato.

I can't imagine anyone eating 45 lbs of Hua Moas every week for their Vit A.

Sweet potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sweet potatoes are really cool. I have yet to grow and harvest them successfully--I should have taken that tuber sitting on the ground when I was in Jville but kept waiting for it to grow and it rotted. You can eat the leaves; I haven't yet but plan to try them someday. (Finally something they don't say tastes like chicken so I'm game.)

But I'm still mystified about what other trace minerals a banana (cooking or otherwise) offer that sweet potato tubers or vines don't. Or even weeds. (If you haven't tried dandelion buds sautéed in butter you're missing out!)

There must be a reason they're pushing bananas for nutrition; I'd hate to think it's a plot to further impoverish these people. I've seen several articles about this and am not going to reread the one posted but Bill Gates' foundation is involved with this. Can't be another Windows thing, can it?