View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
ez

Zone: 10b
Name: Ed
BananaBucks : 57,166
Said "Thanks" 2,529 Times
Was Thanked 2,814 Times in 421 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 321 Times
Wink Re: What's w/ the hard Center in my Banana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnshrek View Post
I like to get and have some Manzano's to have on hand once in a while.. Now Different hands are like the weather.. Some are Great and some are not so great.. Some have a hard center on the top center of maybe the top 1/4 of a Manzano. It tends to be the same for all fingers in a hand. In previous hands it was smaller on certain hands, so..

Does this have to with them picking the fruit to early?

Does this happen for people who grow them @ home?

Is this only associated w/ Manzano's purchased from a grocery store?

If a finger doesn't has this issue I'm all for that, my current hand I have is just fine, but the previous one had the issue stated above.. Thanks :^)
Manzano fruit is sensitive to long periods of dormancy, temperatures below 60° will cause damage. The amount of damage depends on how many months of cold weather, the fruit will be drier than normal with less flavor or have a "hard center".

Cold weather fruit will have no apparent physical damage and in the spring the fruit will mature and look great until you taste it.

Sometimes because of their sensitivity to cold I had to harvest early to avoid severe cold fronts. The fruit was similar in taste and texture with random quality much like your description of store brought Manzano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturabananas View Post
I don't know what causes the hard spots in Manzano. Many other varieties seem to get a hard core when the don't fill properly, for whatever reason, such as Namwah that have a "corky core". In my yard, it usually has to do with ripening over winter, when conditions aren't great for banana growth. I think anything that keeps them from filling properly can cause the hard core.

I agree with you
Cold weather can affect the way banana fruit develops and in my yard it's the main reason for substandard fruit.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To ez
Said thanks: