View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 01:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
formontcalamus
Wholistic Naturalist

Zone: 11
Name: Logos (French/Greek)
BananaBucks : 57,723
Said "Thanks" 4 Times
Was Thanked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Growing list of Tropicals for sale . . .

I used to be into experimenting to find more cold hardy plants when I was still in Florida. I hated that onece each year we had to get out in the middle of the night to cover plants. There are lots of tropicals that for odd evolutionary reasons can take the cold, like Chinese Fan Palm (15*f.) etc.

Its a general rule that if the Philodendron has a stiff durable feeling leaf, it is more cold hardy. Phil. Imbe is native to central southern areas of Brazil. It grows in areas with a heavy rainy season that turns arid in the Brazilian winter. Drought resistant plants are also more likely to withstand cold. I saw this plant growing in a landscape in full Sun in Orlando Florida. Thats zone 9a ? Orlando get a brief freez about twice a year. I think the low elevations of Louisiana may be safe if the area is surrounded with foliage or forest.
I would be happy to trade ! I need cutting material of Confederate Jasmine. (Trachelospermum jasminoides). If you have none (shame on y'all). You could buy it and send me rooted plants. I need a lot of it, so we would have to trade in your favor for 2 or 3 others off my list plus a lot of P. imbe.

I'll look for you here or on my e-mail. Thanks for reply . . . Logos
Love the Earth, Logos / Wholistic Naturalist / Married / Father of ten Cats / Sexual preference: Anything that moves / French-Greek ancestry / Special interests: Codiaeum (Crotons), Evolutionary behavior / Look to the examples of Nature to understand Humanity.
formontcalamus is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To formontcalamus